sunny side up



Friday, December 28, 2007 @ 10:02 PM

to X or not to X

Some people were busy correcting others because they typed "Merry Xmas" instead of "Merry Christmas". I've been corrected maybe 10 times just this Christmas.

CHRISTmas means Christ Has Come. So the use of "X" to take Christ's place is like crossing out Christ in Christmas or X represents an unknown when it's obviously known. So yes, so many have been exasperatedly telling me this, I'm thankful I didn't spam people "Merry Xmas" or I would have been cross examined and grilled why I took Christ away.

I remember hearing from someone that X far from crossing out Christ actually brings attention to Christ focusing on the Cross (X) and therefore what Christ did on the Cross. I guess Easter has to be linked to Christmas or else Christ coming would have been pointless.

My friend questioned why the cross is slanted, some cult ah he said. I replied that it's Jesus dragging the Cross to Calvary. I was quite desperate to show that X is just a symbol and it could mean anything.

Anyhow, those were attempts to explain myself whilst not fully aware that people are sensitive to words. Words are powerful. If a word is not helpful, i.e has bad connotations, I don't think new interpretations of X can change much.

Ultimately among Christians it does not matter what X stands for because we all recognise that the day celebrates Christ's coming!



Here are some lyrics to the song Hope Has Come, a song which seriously gave my memory a hard time. It's a cool upbeat song..a new introduction to our usual medley of carols this Christmas. It was a joyful yet humbling reminder for me why Christ came!

Let us sing with the angel voices, Let us join their happy song
All of heaven and earth rejoices, for the Lamb of God has come
He has come to rescue sinners, come to meet our desperate need
He was born to bring forgiveness, born for Calvary!


Let us lay our gifts before Him, let us magnify His name
With our thankful hearts adore Him, for the Lord has come to save
He has come to break sin's power, He has come to set us free
Hope was born that glorious hour, Christ the mighty King!


Hallelujah Hope was come!
Hallelujah Christ has come!
We once were slaves in misery till You appeared and set us free!
Hallelujah Christ has come!

emily at 10:02 PM
0comment(s)

0Comments:

Post a Comment


Profile.

E m e l y e

Links.

jy.
nic.
kel.
stef.
ctmyra.
mr siva.
yin luan.
maryam.
rachel soh.
adeline elena.

ian.
nat.
eliz.
yue.
yan.
sijia.
ning.
josh.
jane.
huiis.
xuan.
yihui.
leroy.
laine.
nicole.
rachel.
siyong.
neoyun.
hongyu.
yingxuan.
hweeleng.
porkchop.
lambchop.

gin.
kelv.
shane.
raymond.
04A1A.

val.
ian.
roy.
nan.
eliot.
linda.
amos.
tungs.
randy.
becky.
jaclyn.
joanne.
leonard.
romans.
carmen.
jeannette.
michelle.k

faith.
simin.
bianca.
alyssa.
leehau.
zaneta.
yueyou.

Credits.
Layout: I
Fonts: I
Image: I
Brushes: I II
Box Codes: Kriss