sunny side up



Sunday, August 26, 2007 @ 8:42 PM

on sleeping and talking

I've this bad habit of sleeping when speakers don't catch my attention. The kind when you've got to strugggle hard to follow, so as to catch the essentials of the message. Sometimes I'm proud of myself, but there were times when struggling is futile and sleep is tempting, it's the ONLY thing your body wants to do. Forensic science lecture was doing that to me and today's sermon made me drift in and out, when i'm conscious I copy whatevers on the screen, nod a couple of times and go back to sleep.

The fine line between perceivably good and bad speakers I sometimes wonder is our own prejudices against the person. On top of the message content, and possibly the jokes. Like how one's accent/ diction or mannerism or lack of energy/volume can affect. I'm not saying that it is limited to that, but just that these show how superficial it is when we screen speakers. I have this voice in my head whenever I'm listening to someone new speak. Sometimes I say it loud. During the recent literature freshman party, the seniors were giving an introduction to the freshies and leading crowdbreakers games. I said quite pointblank that they were lousy emcees and very inadequately prepped. To qualify myself hor, some others and my freshie friend agreed. Also, with regards to (this phrase WRT is used so many times by a fellow lit student that it can get on my nerves. see? prejudice.) one of our profs hasty comment on bad syntax of "chinese educated" students, a lit friend said "I'm an english elitist, I admit. This is an english major course, you need a certain standard of english proficiency." SO it's ok to say someone's english cannot make it when it's for writing a paper but not when it's spoken? My tutorials are interesting cos people generally talk alot. I observe and listen alot cos i don't contribute, unless it's group discussions and you can see who are the people whom others think are not-so-gd speakers.

Normally I wince when i can tell fake accents (including when i do it myself) OH like there's one class i have with some seniors. Some of them were schooled in US, so granted, they have an american accent. But the rest of the class is starting to pick up this pseudo-american accent and it's very telling that it's all due to peer pressure, NOT cos they're trying to accomodate so that our prof can understand. We somehow know that if we speak with lok kok english, we won't sound as good.

Anyhow, back to sleeping during sermons, I learnt that even "bad" speakers have good points, that's why they're up there speaking and not me. Hmmm. shall leave it as that

emily at 8:42 PM
0comment(s)

0Comments:

Post a Comment


Profile.

E m e l y e

Links.

jy.
nic.
kel.
stef.
ctmyra.
mr siva.
yin luan.
maryam.
rachel soh.
adeline elena.

ian.
nat.
eliz.
yue.
yan.
sijia.
ning.
josh.
jane.
huiis.
xuan.
yihui.
leroy.
laine.
nicole.
rachel.
siyong.
neoyun.
hongyu.
yingxuan.
hweeleng.
porkchop.
lambchop.

gin.
kelv.
shane.
raymond.
04A1A.

val.
ian.
roy.
nan.
eliot.
linda.
amos.
tungs.
randy.
becky.
jaclyn.
joanne.
leonard.
romans.
carmen.
jeannette.
michelle.k

faith.
simin.
bianca.
alyssa.
leehau.
zaneta.
yueyou.

Credits.
Layout: I
Fonts: I
Image: I
Brushes: I II
Box Codes: Kriss